Benjamin Doolittle, MD, MA Div
Ben Doolittle is the Program Director of the Combined Internal Medicine-Pediatrics Residency Program. He is also the Medical Director of the Faculty-Resident Continuity Clinic. His practice focuses on addiction, Hepatitis C, HIV, and primary care. His research interests explore the intersection of medicine and spirituality, wellness and burnout. Ben is also an ordained minister, holding a MDIV from Yale Divinity School, and serves a local urban congregation.
- Associate Professor of Medicine (General Medicine) and of Pediatrics
- Director, Int Med-Pediatrics Residency Program
- Associate Professor, Religion and Health, Yale Divinity School
Education & Training
- ResidentYale-New Haven Hospital (2002)
- MDYale University School of Medicine (1997)
- MA DivYale Divinity School (1994)
- BSYale University (1991)
- Courage to Teach: ACGME (2018)
- Leonard Tow Humanism Award: Yale School of Medicine (2015)
- Primary Care Hall of Fame: (2012)
- Leah Lowenstein Award: (2010)
- AB of Internal Medicine, Internal Medicine (2002)
- Doolittle BR, O'Connor PG. The Beast, the Borg, and the Role of the EMR. Journal Of General Internal Medicine 2020, 35:2447-2448.
- Pinto Taylor E, Doolittle B. Caregiver Decision-Making for Terminally Ill Children: A Qualitative Study. Journal Of Palliative Care 2020, 35:161-166.
- Illueca M, Doolittle BR. The Use of Prayer in the Management of Pain: A Systematic Review. Journal Of Religion And Health 2020, 59:681-699.
- Doolittle BR. The Blue Zones as a Model for Physician Well-Being. The American Journal Of Medicine 2020, 133:653-654.
- Association of Burnout with Emotional Coping Strategies, Friendship, and Institutional Support Among Internal Medicine Physicians.Doolittle BR. Association of Burnout with Emotional Coping Strategies, Friendship, and Institutional Support Among Internal Medicine Physicians. Journal Of Clinical Psychology In Medical Settings 2020.
- Doolittle BR, Richards B, Tarabar A, Ellman M, Tobin D. The day the residents left: lessons learnt from COVID-19 for ambulatory clinics. Family Medicine And Community Health 2020, 8.
- Mortality, Health, and Substance Abuse by Religious Attendance Among HIV Infected Patients from the Veterans Aging Cohort Study.Doolittle BR, McGinnis K, Ransome Y, Fiellin D, Justice A. Mortality, Health, and Substance Abuse by Religious Attendance Among HIV Infected Patients from the Veterans Aging Cohort Study. AIDS And Behavior 2021, 25:653-660.
- Doolittle B, Moriarty J, Asnes A, Siegel M, Huot S. Post-interview communication after the APDIM recommendations,Connecticut Medicine, 2019;83(10):499-502
- Holt SR, Rosenbaum J, Ellman M, Doolittle B, Tobin DG. Physicians Should Play a Role in Ensuring Safe Firearm Ownership. Journal Of General Internal Medicine 2019, 34:1637-1640.
- Failure in Residency Education: Lessons Learned From Harry Potter, Oprah Winfrey, and the Marigold Hotel.Doolittle BR. Failure in Residency Education: Lessons Learned From Harry Potter, Oprah Winfrey, and the Marigold Hotel. Journal Of Graduate Medical Education 2019, 11:233-234.
- Wang'ondu R, Vitale R, Rosenblum H, Pinto-Taylor E, Grossman M, Sharifi M, Gielissen K, Doolittle B. A resident-led project to improve documentation of overweight and obesity in a primary care clinic. Journal Of Community Hospital Internal Medicine Perspectives 2019, 9:377-383.
- Vitale R, Smith S, Doolittle BR. Improving patient satisfaction through improved telephone triage in a primary care practice. Family Medicine And Community Health 2019, 7:e000208.
- Barriers to Advance Care Planning in End-Stage Renal Disease: Who is to Blame, and What Can be Done?Kelley AT, Turner J, Doolittle B. Barriers to Advance Care Planning in End-Stage Renal Disease: Who is to Blame, and What Can be Done? The New Bioethics : A Multidisciplinary Journal Of Biotechnology And The Body 2018, 24:150-157.
- Stepczynski J, Holt SR, Ellman MS, Tobin D, Doolittle BR. Factors Affecting Resident Satisfaction in Continuity Clinic-a Systematic Review. Journal Of General Internal Medicine 2018, 33:1386-1393.
- Doolittle BR, Justice AC, Fiellin DA. Religion, Spirituality, and HIV Clinical Outcomes: A Systematic Review of the Literature. AIDS And Behavior 2018, 22:1792-1801.
- Tobin DG, Doolittle BR, Ellman MS, Ruser CB, Brienza RS, Genao I. Modifying the Primary Care Exception Rule to Require Competency-Based Assessment. Academic Medicine : Journal Of The Association Of American Medical Colleges 2017, 92:331-334.
- Doolittle BR. Joy and the ACGME Common Program Requirements. Journal Of Graduate Medical Education 2017, 9:773-774.
- Doolittle BR, Ellman MS. Authors' Reply to "Why the Aversion?" Journal Of Graduate Medical Education 2017, 9:255.
- Continuity of Care as an Educational Goal but Failed Reality in Resident Training: Time to Innovate.Ellman MS, Tobin DG, Stepczynski J, Doolittle B. Continuity of Care as an Educational Goal but Failed Reality in Resident Training: Time to Innovate. Journal Of Graduate Medical Education 2016, 8:150-3.
- Doolittle BR. Are We the Walking Dead? Burnout as Zombie Apocalypse. Annals Of Family Medicine 2016, 14:578-580.
- Doolittle BR, Ellman MS. Sarah Palin Is My Muse-And Other Lessons Learned From a Sabbatical. Journal Of Graduate Medical Education 2016, 8:792.
- Doolittle B, The correlation of neighborhood safety and behaviors upon pediatric obesity in an urban populationAnnals for Pediatric and Child Health 2015;3(2): 1039.
- Doolittle B, Lessons learned from my BMW and Ayn RandThe Christian Century, 2015;132(6):27.
- Burnout, compassion fatigue, and job satisfaction among hospital chaplains: a systematic reviewResearch in the Social Scientific Study of Religion, 2015; 26, 180-197
- Doolittle BR, Tobin D, Genao I, Ellman M, Ruser C, Brienza R. Implementing the patient-centered medical home in residency education. Education For Health (Abingdon, England) 2015, 28:74-8.
- Doolittle B, Courtney M, Jasien J. Satisfaction With Life, Coping, and Spirituality Among Urban Families. Journal Of Primary Care & Community Health 2015, 6:256-9.
- Correlation of burnout syndrome with specific coping strategies, behaviors, and spiritual attitudes among interns at Yale University, New Haven, USA.Doolittle BR, Windish DM. Correlation of burnout syndrome with specific coping strategies, behaviors, and spiritual attitudes among interns at Yale University, New Haven, USA. Journal Of Educational Evaluation For Health Professions 2015, 12:41.
- Doolittle BR, Talwalkar JS. Observations: milestones for combined training programs-innovation or burden? Journal Of Graduate Medical Education 2014, 6:386-7.
- Talwalkar J, Scholand S, Doolitle B, Ginger as an adjunctive treatment for cyclic vomiting syndrome, Alternative and Complementary TherapiesAlternative and Complementary Therapies, 2013;19(2):94-97
- Doolittle B, Physician Burnout, Burnout-New Research, (Doolittle, editor),Nova Publishing, Hauppauge, NY, November 2013
- Doolittle BR, Windish DM, Seelig CB. Burnout, coping, and spirituality among internal medicine resident physicians. Journal Of Graduate Medical Education 2013, 5:257-61.
- Doolittle B, Becker W. A case series of buprenorphine/naloxone treatment in a primary care practice. Substance Abuse : Official Publication Of The Association For Medical Education And Research In Substance Abuse 2011, 32:262-5.
- Doolittle BR. The impact of behaviors upon burnout among parish-based clergy. Journal Of Religion And Health 2010, 49:88-95.
- Hassan SM, Doolittle BR. A case of Yersinia enterocolitica mimicking Kawasaki disease. Rheumatology (Oxford, England) 2009, 48:857-8.
- Application of a prediction rule to discriminate between aseptic and bacterial meningitis in adults.Doolittle BR, Alias A. Application of a prediction rule to discriminate between aseptic and bacterial meningitis in adults. Hospital Practice (1995) 2009, 37:93-7.
- Doolittle, B, Burnout and Coping Among Parish Based ClergyMental Health, Religion, and Culture, 2007 ; 10(1):31-38.
- Doolittle BR, Farrell M. The Association Between Spirituality and Depression in an Urban Clinic. Primary Care Companion To The Journal Of Clinical Psychiatry 2004, 6:114-118.
- Schwartz JI, Rabin TL, Doolittle BR. Integrated care of refugees in a primary care residency clinic. Journal Of Graduate Medical Education 2012, 4:551.
- Childrens Hospital at Yale - West PavilionYale New Haven Hospital20 York Street, Ste 7th FloorNew Haven, CT, 06510
- St. Mary's Hospital56 Franklin StreetWaterbury, CT, 06706