Pnina Weiss, MD
Dr. Weiss sees children with both pulmonary and sleep disorders. She runs the pediatric pulmonary function laboratory and exercise testing for patients with exercise-induced shortness of breath. She has published and been asked to lecture on pulmonary physiology, exercise-induced asthma and sleep disorders.
- Associate Professor of Pediatrics (Pulmonology and Sleep Medicine)
- Medical Director, Pediatric Pulmonary Function Laboratory
- Associate Director, Pediatric Pulmonology Fellowship
- Vice Chair of Education, Department of Pediatrics
Education & Training
- FellowYale University School of Medicine (2016)
- FellowYale University School of Medicine (1996)
- FellowYale University School of Medicine (1994)
- FellowYale University School of Medicine (1992)
- ResidentYale-New Haven Hospital (1989)
- MDCase Western Reserve Univ (1986)
- Norman Siegel Award for Leadership: Department of Pediatrics (2009)
- Housestaff Teaching Award: Bridgeport Hospital (1993)
- Fellowship Award: American Heart Association (1991)
- Alfred S. Maschke Award for Excellence in the Art and Practice of Medicine: (1986)
- National Physician-Scientist Collaborative Workgroup (2019 - Present): Member
- Council of Pediatric Subspecialties (2015 - Present): The Council of Pediatric Subspecialties advances child health through communication and collaboration within its network of pediatric subspecialties and liaison organizations.
- Subspecialty Pediatric Investigators Network Advisory Board (2015 - Present): The Subspecialty Pediatrics Investigator Network or SPIN is a medical education research network created for the Pediatric Subspecialties to evaluate the education and assessment of fellows. It is a collaborative effort of the American Board of Pediatrics, the Association of Pediatric Program Directors Fellowship Committee, the Association of Pediatric Program Directors Longitudinal Educational Assessment Research Network, the Council of Pediatric Subspecialties and each pediatric subspecialty’s program director network.
- AAP PREP Self-Assessment Pulmonology (2011 - Present): Editor
- GMEC (2007 - Present): Oversees the activities of graduate medical education programs
- Fellows as Medical Educators: Implementation and Evaluation of a Curriculum to Improve Pediatric Fellow Teaching Skills.Timme KH, Hafler JP, Encandela J, Colson ER, Weinzimer SA, Asnes A, Gaither JR, Guest J, Murtha TD, Weiss P. Fellows as Medical Educators: Implementation and Evaluation of a Curriculum to Improve Pediatric Fellow Teaching Skills. Academic Pediatrics 2020, 20:140-142.
- Weiss P, Mauer E, Gerber LM, Boyer D, Abramson EL. Funding sources and effects of limited funding in pediatric pulmonology fellowship programs. Pediatric Pulmonology 2020, 55:221-225.
- Fixing the leaky pipeline: identifying solutions for improving pediatrician-scientist training during pediatric residency.Burns AM, Ackerman K, Thammasitboon S, Rassbach C, Ward MA, Blankenburg R, Forster CS, McPhillips H, Wenger T, Powell W, Heyman MB, Hogarty M, Boyer D, Hostetter M, Weiss P, Nguyen S, Parsons DW, Moore DJ, Byrne B, French A, Orange JS. Fixing the leaky pipeline: identifying solutions for improving pediatrician-scientist training during pediatric residency. Pediatric Research 2020, 88:163-167.
- Weiss PG, Li ST. Leading Change to Address the Needs and Well-Being of Trainees During the COVID-19 Pandemic. Academic Pediatrics 2020, 20:735-741.
- Mink R, Herman BE, Carraccio C, Aye T, Baffa JM, Chess PR, Fussell JJ, Sauer CG, Stafford DEJ, Weiss P, Curran ML, Dammann CEL, High PC, Hsu D, Kesselheim JC, Mahan JD, McGann KA, Myers AL, Pitts S, Turner DA, Schwartz A. Agreement of Program Directors With Clinical Competency Committees for Fellow Entrustment. Journal Of Medical Education And Curricular Development 2020, 7:2382120520936613.
- Oermann CM, Lahiri T, Peterson-Carmichael SL, Weiss P. The History of Workforce Concerns in Pediatric Pulmonary Medicine. Pediatric Pulmonology 2020.
- Challenges of Funding Pediatric Fellowship Programs-Invited Commentary from the Council of Pediatric Subspecialties.Heyman MB, Weiss P, Boyer D, Fussell J, Imundo L, Aye T, Jarjour IT, Spicer R, Bale J. Challenges of Funding Pediatric Fellowship Programs-Invited Commentary from the Council of Pediatric Subspecialties. The Journal Of Pediatrics 2019, 204:4-6.e1.
- Weiss P, Myers AL, McGann KA, Mason KE, Kesselheim JC, Fleming G, Barron C, Klasner A, Heyman MB, Weiss DL, Mauer E, Gerber LM, Abramson EL. Funding Sources and Perceived Financial Insecurity in Pediatric Subspecialty Fellowship Programs. Academic Pediatrics 2019, 19:815-821.
- Mink, R., A. Schwartz, C. Carraccio, P. High, C. Dammann, K.A. McGann, J. Kesselheim, B. Herman, Steering Committee of the Subspecialty Pediatrics Investigator Network (Co-author member of SPIN), J Peds 192:3-4, 2018
- Validity of Level of Supervision Scales for Assessing Pediatric Fellows on the Common Pediatric Subspecialty Entrustable Professional Activities.Mink, R.B., A. Schwartz, B.E. Herman, D.A. Turner, M.L. Curan, A. Myers, D.C. Hsu, J.C. Kesselheim, C.L. Carraccio and the Steering Committee of the Subspecialty Pediatric Investigator Network (SPIN) (Co-author member of SPIN). Acad Med 2017
- Smoliga JM, Weiss P, Rundell KW. Exercise induced bronchoconstriction in adults: evidence based diagnosis and management. BMJ (Clinical Research Ed.) 2016, 352:h6951.
- Weiss P, Kryger M. Positive Airway Pressure Therapy for Obstructive Sleep Apnea. Otolaryngologic Clinics Of North America 2016, 49:1331-1341.
- Fleming GM, Brook MM, Herman BE, Kennedy C, McGann KA, Mason KE, Weiss P, Myers AL. Recommended Protected Time for Pediatric Fellowship Program Directors: A Needs Assessment Survey. Academic Pediatrics 2016, 16:415-418.
- Weiss P, Kryger M, Knauert M. Impact of extended duty hours on medical trainees. Sleep Health 2016, 2:309-315.
- Association between right ventricular dysfunction and restrictive lung disease in childhood cancer survivors as measured by quantitative echocardiography.Patel A, Weismann C, Weiss P, Russell K, Bazzy-Asaad A, Kadan-Lottick NS. Association between right ventricular dysfunction and restrictive lung disease in childhood cancer survivors as measured by quantitative echocardiography. Pediatric Blood & Cancer 2014, 61:2059-64.
- Navas-Nazario A, Li FY, Shabanova V, Weiss P, Cole DE, Carpenter TO, Bazzy-Asaad A. Effect of vitamin D-binding protein genotype on the development of asthma in children. Annals Of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology : Official Publication Of The American College Of Allergy, Asthma, & Immunology 2014, 112:519-24.
- Rundell KW, Weiss P. Exercise-induced bronchoconstriction and vocal cord dysfunction: two sides of the same coin? Current Sports Medicine Reports 2013, 12:41-6.
- Exercise-induced Bronchoconstriction in Children and AdolescentsWeiss, P. Exercise-induced Bronchoconstriction in Children and Adolescents. J. Asthma Allergy Educators 2011; 2(5): 246-252.
- Pulmonary PhysiologyWeiss, P. ”Pulmonary Physiology” In: Light M, ed. Pediatr Pulmonol. Elk Grove Village: American Academy of Pediatrics; 2011:15-43.
- Exercise-induced Lung Disease: Too Much of a Good Thing?Weiss, P. and Rundell,K. Exercise-induced Lung Disease: Too Much of a Good Thing?. Pediatric Allergy, Immunology, and Pulmonology 2011;24(3):149-157.
- Lack of Identification of Asthmatic Players in a Youth Soccer LeagueWeiss, P., Bazzy-Asaad, A., and Tolomeo, C. Lack of Identification of Asthmatic Players in a Youth Soccer League. J. Asthma Allergy Educators. 1(3) 2010.
- Weiss P, Rundell KW. Imitators of exercise-induced bronchoconstriction. Allergy, Asthma, And Clinical Immunology : Official Journal Of The Canadian Society Of Allergy And Clinical Immunology 2009, 5:7.
- Pediatric Subspecialty CenterYale New Haven Children's Hospital1 Park Street, Ste 2nd FloorNew Haven, CT, 06504
- Yale Pediatric Respiratory MedicineYale New Haven Children's Hospital1 Park Street, Ste West Pavilion, 2nd floorNew Haven, CT, 06504
- Pediatric Subspecialty Center1 Long Wharf DriveNew Haven, CT, 06511