Andrew Wang, MD/PhD, AB
I obtained my AB from Harvard University and my MD, PhD degrees in 2011 from University of Texas Southwestern with additional training done at the University of Paris. As a part of his MD/PhD training in the laboratories of Drs. Edward Wakeland and Chandra Mohan, I identified a key role for the CXCR4/SDF-1 axis in end-organ targeting (in mouse and man), an important insight in the pathogenesis of SLE. I then did my Internal Medicine internship and residency training at Yale and joined the ABIM Short Track Pathway into Rheumatology fellowship. I joined the laboratory of Dr. Ruslan Medzhitov in July 2014 for my postdoctoral training. There, based on my clinical experience as a house officer, I shifted my focus to understanding how inflammation and metabolism are coordinated on an organismal level. My work in Dr. Medzhitov's laboratory led to the discovery that different inflammatory states are coordinated with different metabolic programs, an important insight into the pathogenesis of many inflammatory diseases. I joined the faculty as Assistant Professor in Internal Medicine (Rheumatology) in August 2017 and joined the Immunobiology faculty in July 2019.
My lab broadly studies metabolism and inflammation in order to understand pathways in inflammatory physiology that can be therapeutically targeted to treat diseases ranging from sepsis and autoimmunity to psychiatric diseases like depression. We use mouse models, cell culture, and human samples and apply techniques spanning the disciplines of metabolism, immunobiology, and behavioral biology.
- Assistant Professor
Education & Training
- Post-doctoral FellowYale University School of Medicine (2017)
- ABIM Research Pathway FellowYale University School of Medicine (2017)
- ABIM Research Pathway ResidentYale University School of Medicine/Yale New Haven Hospital (2013)
- MD/PhDUniversity of Paris V, Immunobiology (2011)
- MD/PhDUniversity of Texas Southwestern Medical School, Immunobiology (2011)
- ABHarvard University, Biochemistry (2004)
- 官話 / 官话 (Chinese-Mandarin)
- Français (French)