Piruz Motamedinia, MD
Piruz Motamedinia, MD, is a urologist at Yale Medicine specializing in treating and preventing kidney stone disease.
Dr. Motamedinia decided to focus on treating kidney stones because they impact every demographic, including men, women, the young and the old, yet have proven treatments. “Kidney stones are very disruptive to your life,” he says. “But through sometimes very simple procedures, we can alleviate severe pain and get people back to their normal lives.”
Dr. Motamedinia treats both patients who are currently experiencing kidney stones and those who have a history of kidney stones. He finds it rewarding when he is able to help a patient return to his or her daily activities. “Those patients are very thankful, and I’m very happy to be their doctor,” he says.
Dr. Motamedinia tries to be as compassionate to patients as he can by imagining them as his own family members. In addition, he treats each patient based on their individual needs. “I try to tailor my treatment recommendations, not just based on their medical results and their tests, but who they are and their life,” he says. He strongly believes in a patient-focused approach emphasizing clear communication and respect. He strives to identify barriers that might prevent his patients from reaching their medical goals and seeks the necessary means to overcome them.
In addition to treating patients, Dr. Motamedinia is an assistant professor of urology at Yale School of Medicine.
- Assistant Professor of Urology
- Associate Residency Director, Urology
- Vice Chair, Clinical Affairs, Urology
Education & Training
- Endourology FellowNorth Shore-Long Island Jewish, Smith Institute for Urology (2015)
- Urology ResidentColumbia University Medical Center (2014)
- General Surgery InternColumbia University Medical Center (2009)
- MDAlbert Einstein College of Medicine, Doctor of Medicine (2008)
- BSUniversity of California, Los Angeles, Physiological Science (2003)