Jaimie Meyer, MD, MS, FACP
Jaimie Meyer, MD, MS, an infectious diseases specialist at Yale Medicine, received her medical degree at the University of Connecticut School of Medicine and a Masters in biostatistics and epidemiology from the Yale School of Public Health. “I went into this field because it is where medicine and public health intersect,” says Dr. Meyer.
Dr. Meyer has a special interest in preventing and treating HIV, especially in women among people who use drugs. This interest was sparked during her time working at a methadone clinic before medical school. She is board certified in internal medicine, infectious diseases, and addiction medicine and is certified to prescribe buprenorphine for the treatment of opioid use disorder. As a clinician, Dr. Meyer has worked with patients in the HIV clinic at the York Correctional Institute for Women, the only criminal justice facility for women in the state of Connecticut. She now primarily sees patients at the Nathan Smith Clinic at Yale New Haven Hospital and on the infectious disease inpatient services at Yale New Haven Hospital.
When meeting with patients, Dr. Meyer tries to get the “whole picture” by asking questions about the patient’s relationships, housing situation, substance use and more. “HIV doesn’t operate in a vacuum,” she says. “I try to talk about the other things that affect their experience living with HIV.”
In addition to seeing patients, Dr. Meyer also conducts research on HIV prevention and treatment among women in diverse criminal justice settings, especially in situations that also involve substance use disorders and intimate partner violence.
- Associate Professor of Medicine (Infectious Diseases, AIDS) and Epidemiology in the Department of Chronic Disease Epidemiology
Education & Training
- MSYale School of Public Health, Biostatistics and Epidemiology (2014)
- FellowshipCenter for Interdisciplinary Research on AIDS (2012)
- FellowshipYale University School of Medicine (2011)
- ResidencyNY Presbyterian Hospital at Columbia (2008)
- MDUniversity of Connecticut School of Medicine (2005)
- BADartmouth College, Anthropology (2000)