- 1 C old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 C low-fat buttermilk
- 1 all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- ½ C (packed) light brown sugar
- ½ C applesauce
- 1/3 C canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Coat a muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray or fill with paper liners.
- In a bowl, combine the oats and buttermilk. Set aside for 25 minutes
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs. Add the brown sugar, applesauce, oil, and vanilla and stir to combine. Add to the oat mixture, stirring well to combine. Add the dry ingredients and stir gently to incorporate. Spoon batter evenly into muffin cups.
- Bake for 18 to 18 minutes, or until the tops just bounce back when touched. Leave in the tin for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
Nutrition Information per serving
• Calories 180, Fat (g) 8, Carbohydrates (g) 25, Dietary Fiber (g) 1, Sugar (g) 12, Protein (g) 4, Sodium (mg) 220
Heart healthy oats provide a binding action for those suffering from diarrhea!