We care for children with a variety of allergic and immunologic disorders and chronic respiratory diseases and conditions. We diagnose and treat everything from the most common to the very rare, providing expertise that is sometimes difficult to find elsewhere.
Conditions we treat include:
- Nasal and eye allergies
- Medication allergy
- Chronic sinusitis
- Hereditary angioneurotic edema
- Common variable immunodeficiency
- Secondary immune deficiencies
- Cystic fibrosis
- Sleep disorders
- Chronic lung disease in infants and older children
- Acute respiratory failure
Treatments we offer include:
- Allergen vaccine immunotherapy (allergy shots)
- Asthma environmental controls and pharmacological controller therapy
- Intensive antihistamine regimens
- Biological therapy for hereditary angioneurotic edema
- Intravenous and subcutaneous immunoglobulin replenishment
- Aspirin desensitization
- Desensitization to antibiotics and other medications
Our services include:
Pediatric pulmonary function testing: We evaluate and follow lung disease in children with a full spectrum of tests, including diffusion analysis, challenge tests, and exercise. Physicians may order a pulmonary function test by calling 203-688-4667.
Bronchoscopy: Bronchoscopy is the examination of the bronchi (the main airways of the lungs) using a flexible tube (bronchoscope). Bronchoscopy helps to evaluate and diagnose lung problems, assess blockages, obtain samples of tissue and/or fluid, and/or to help remove a foreign body.
Bronchoscopies are performed in the pediatric operating room, and in the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit. Our pulmonologists who perform this procedure have extensive experience with flexible bronchoscopy including in newborns. In many cases flexible bronchoscopy, which can be safely and comfortably performed under conscious sedation, eliminates the need for an exam under general anesthesia.