Joseph Vinetz, MD, FACP, FIDSA, FASTMH, BS
Joseph Vinetz, MD, is an expert in general infectious diseases with special expertise in tropical medicine and traveler's health.
“Patients teach us how to learn new ways to address the diseases and conditions important to them, whether here at home or anywhere in the world,” Dr. Vinetz says.
In addition to treating patients, Dr. Vinetz conducts research to find new ways to help patients. “Every day I come to work ready to use my laboratory to attack real-world problems with new strategies based on innovative science,” he says. “Being a physician-scientist allows me to learn about important clinical problems from patients.”
Dr. Vinetz is also a clinical instructor at Yale School of Medicine. “Working with Yale medical students, residents, and fellows allows me to pass on my knowledge to the next generation and to learn from them about new ways of thinking about people suffering from disease,” he says.
- Professor of Medicine (Infectious Diseases) and Anthropology
Education & Training
- Postdoctoral FellowNational Institutes of Health (1998)
- FellowJohns Hopkins Hospital (1998)
- ResidentJohns Hopkins Hospital (1994)
- MDUniversity of California San Diego, Medicine (1991)