Smilow Interventional Oncology is the first comprehensive program of its kind in the state of Connecticut.
Our interventional oncologists are international leaders who provide the following innovative, minimally invasive treatments for lung cancer, liver cancer, kidney cancer, melanoma and metastatic tumors from colon, prostate, breast and lung cancers:
- Chemoembolization: Targeted chemotherapy is delivered directly to a tumor through an artery.
- Radioembolization: Radioactive particles are precisely delivered to a tumor through an artery.
- Radiofrequency ablation: Radio waves are used to heat and destroy cancer cells through a probe inserted in the skin.
- Cryoablation: Cancer tissue is frozen and destroyed through special probes inserted through a patient’s skin.
- Microwave ablation: A procedure that uses special electromagnetic waves to heat and destroy cancer cells.
- Pain Palliation Treatment: Treatments can be used to help relieve discomfort in patients with metastatic tumors to spine, bone and soft tissues.
Our program is also proud to offer many clinical trial opportunities for people with cancer to try new interventional oncology treatments that are now being developed.