Silvia Vilarinho, MD, PhD
Silvia Vilarinho, MD, is an internist who treats digestive and liver diseases. She is especially interested in integrating genetics into diagnosis and treatment. No matter how serious the ailment, she always seeks to reassure patients. “We will work together to find the best plan,” she tells them.
One of her most meaningful experiences was identifying a rare genetic disorder in a woman who had been misdiagnosed multiple times. After years of ineffective treatment, including multiple surgeries, Dr. Vilarinho was finally able to provide the patient with the proper diagnosis and therapy.
An assistant professor of medicine (digestive diseases) at Yale School of Medicine, Dr. Vilarinho’s research applies genetics and genomics to determine the molecular basis of liver diseases with no clear cause. She is most excited when uncovering something that has never been seen before. “It is my goal to merge my research and clinical skills to advance science and to benefit the patient,” she says.
- Assistant Professor of Medicine (Digestive Diseases) and of Pathology
- Associate Director, Yale MD-PhD Program, Digestive Diseases
Education & Training
- FellowshipYale University (2015)
- ResidencyYale University (2011)
- InternshipUniversity of Minnesota (2010)
- PhDUniversity of Porto, Portugal (2008)
- MDUniversity of Porto, Portugal (2004)
- Português (Portuguese)