- 1 lb potatoes, peeled and cut in 2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 to 4 tablespoons low-fat milk (can use whole milk)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 small (or ½ large) onion, finely chopped
- 1/3 C ketchup
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 C frozen peas and carrots mixture
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Fill a large saucepan with enough water to cover the potatoes by an inch or more and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook until potatoes are tender. Drain and return to pan. Add the butter and 2 tablespoons of milk and mash until soft and creamy, add more milk if necessary. Season with salt.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the oil. Saute the ground beef and onion for 6 to 8 minutes, or until meat is cooked through, stirring frequently to break up the meat. Drain if needed. Add the ketchup and Worcestershire sauce and stir well to combine. Add the peas and carrots and stir well to combine.
- Divide the meat mixture evenly between four (1-C) ramekins or oven-safe teacups. Top with about ½ C mashed potato, spreading to cover the meat. Place the ramekins or tea cups on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown. Let cool for about 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
4 servings (~1 C)
Nutrition Information per serving
• Calories 380, Fat (g) 17, Carbohydrate (g) 30, Fiber (g) 3, Sugar (g) 7, Protein (g) 26, Sodium (mg) 390
Recipe from What to Eat During Cancer Treatment by Jeanne Besser, Kristina Ratley, RD, CSO, LDN, Sheri Knecht, RD, CSO, CNSD, LDN, and Michele Szafranski, MS, RD, CSO, LDN Sponsored by the American Cancer Society