Support Models for Addiction Related Treatment (SMART) Trial of Opioid Use Disorder in Pregnant Women
- Study HIC#:2000027031
- Last Updated:10/27/2021
Project SMART (Support Models for Addiction Related Treatment) is a study that compares two models to support for obstetricians in treating pregnant and postpartum women who have an Opioid Use Disorder (OUD). Project SMART works with obstetric providers so that women who are pregnant and have OUD can receive treatment for opioid use and prenatal care together.
To learn more fill out a contact form here for a member of the team to contact you: https://yalesurvey.ca1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_7W2aO99NWQAvkEJ
- Age18 years and older
- GenderFemale only
- Start Date05/01/2020
- End Date04/28/2023
Trial Purpose and Description
The investigators are proposing a cluster randomized clinical trial to compare the effectiveness of two models of support for reproductive health clinicians to provide care for pregnant and postpartum women with an OUD: 1) a collaborative care (CC) approach based upon the Massachusetts Office-Based-Opioid Treatment (OBOT) Model that would provide onsite training, and support to providers and participants through the use of care managers (CMs) vs 2) a telesupport approach modeled on the Project Extension for Community Healthcare Outcomes (ECHO), a remote education model that provides mentorship and guided practice and participation in a learning community, via video conferencing.
- You must be at least 18 years old
- You must be less than 34 weeks pregnant
- You must have a delivery date no later than June 15, 2023
- You must have an Opioid Use Disorder (OUD)
- You must be able to read/speak in English
- You must be willing to complete surveys that will be kept private
- You must be seen at participating sites listed below
Which OB practices are participating in Project SMART?
Participants must be receiving obstetrical care at any of the below sites during their pregnancy in order to qualify for the study.
- Yale Longwharf Maternal Fetal Medicine (New Haven, CT)
- Yale Women’s Center/Hill Health FQHC (New Haven, CT)
- Coastal Ob gyn (New London, CT)
- Bridgeport Hospital (Bridgeport, CT)
- Associated Women's Health (Waterbury, CT)
- OBGYN Services PC (Norwich, CT)
- Hospital of Central Connecticut (New Britain, CT)
- Hartford Hospital (Hartford, CT)
- Essex County OB/GYN Associates (Beverly, MA)
- Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center (Boston, MA)
- Wesson's Women's Clinic Baystate Hospital (Springfield, MA)
- Woman’s Health Lowell General Hospital (Chelmsford, MA)