A PET scan allows physicians to observe the changes in brain metabolism and chemistry. The PET scan uses radioactive isotopes to outline the size, shape and location of organs. It is used in the brain to provide a measure of organ function.
- Do not eat or drink for 6 hours prior to exam.
- The test is not painful; however, an IV will be inserted, which may cause some discomfort.
- You will be injected with the radioactive isotope and then wait 1 hour.
- The scan itself takes approximately 8 minutes.
- If you have had a CT scan, the experience of being "inside" the PET scan is similar.
- Allow 2 hours for the total procedure.