S0820, Adenoma and Second Primary Prevention Trial (PACES)
- Study HIC#:1402013375
- Last Updated:07/15/2021
- To assess whether eflornithine (+/- sulindac), sulindac (+/- eflornithine) or the combination are effective in reducing the three-year event rate (high-risk adenomas and second primary colorectal cancers) in patients with previously treated Stage 0-III colon cancer.
- To assess whether eflornithine, sulindac or the combination has efficacy against colorectal lesions with respect to high-grade dysplasia, adenomas with villous features, adenomas 1 cm or greater, multiple adenomas, any adenomas ≥ 0.3 cm, total advanced colorectal events, or total colorectal events.
- To assess quantitative and qualitative toxicities of patients when treated with eflornithine, sulindac, or the combination compared to placebo.
- To evaluate a minimal set of tagging single nucleotide polymorphisms across multiple genes relevant to eflornithine and sulindac, in order to characterize associations with decreased adenoma/second primary colorectal cancer (CRC) risk and adverse events.
- To examine the interaction of intervention arm and baseline statin use with respect to the 3-year event rate.
- To examine the interaction of the intervention arm and patient-reported meat consumption with respect to the 3-year event rate.
- (Arizona Cancer Center, M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, UC Irvine Medical Center and Wichita CCOP ONLY) To perform population pharmacokinetic (PK) analysis of eflornithine and sulindac in patients with previously treated Stage 0-III colon cancer.
- Age18 years and older
- Start Date09/16/2020
- End Date07/01/2025
Trial Purpose and Description
The investigators hypothesize that the combination of eflornithine and sulindac will be effective in reducing a three-year event rate of adenomas and second primary colorectal cancers in patients previously treated for Stages 0 through III colon cancer.
- History of Stage 0-III colon or rectal cancer with primary resection 1 year previously
- Post-operative colonoscopy and CT scans of chest, abdomen & pelvis showing no evidence of disease
- Must not have cardiovascular risk factors including unstable angina, history of myocardial infarction, or cerebrovascular accident, coronary artery bypass surgery, or NY Heart Assoc Class III or IV heart failure.
- Patients must not have known uncontrolled hyperlipidemia (defined as LDL-C >/= 190 mg/dL or triglycerides >/= 500 mg/dL within the past 3 years or uncontrolled high blood pressure (systolic blood pressure > 150 mm Hg) within 28 days prior to registration
- At least 30 days from completion of adjuvant chemo and RT.
- Presence of gastroesophageal reflux disease acceptable if controlled with medications
- Not receiving or planning to receive concomitant corticosteroids,nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs(NSAIDs), nor anticoagulants. Maximum aspirin dose
- 100 mg per day or ≤ two 325 mg tablets per week.
- Able to swallow oral medications
- Laboratory: WBC ≥ 4.0 x 103/mcL, platelets ≥ 100,000/mcL and hemoglobin > 11.0 g/dL. Serum bilirubin ≤ 2.0 mg/dL and AST (SGOT) or ALT(SGPT) ≤ 2 x IULN. Serum creatinine ≤ 1.5 x IULN
- Zubrod PS 0-1, 18 years of age or older
- Will not participate in any other clinical trial for the treatment or prevention of cancer unless off protocol treatment, on follow-up phase only
- Offered opportunity to participate in blood specimen banking
- History of colon resection > 40 cm
- Mid-low rectal cancer
- Recurrent or metastatic disease
- High cardiovascular risk; Uncontrolled hypertension
- Planned radiation therapy or additional chemotherapy
- Documented history of gastric/duodenal ulcer within last 12 months and/or current treatment or active symptoms of gastric/duodenal ulcer
- Known history of familial adenomatous polyposis, hereditary nonpolyposis colorectal cancer, or inflammatory bowel disease
- ≥ 30 dB uncorrectable hearing loss for age of any of the five tested frequencies on prestudy audiogram
- Known hypersensitivity to sulindac or excipient byproducts. Previous asthma, urticaria, or allergic-type reaction to aspirin or other NSAIDs
- Significant medical or psychiatric condition that would preclude study completion (8 years)
- No other prior malignancy except adequately treated basal cell or squamous cell skin cancer, in situ cervical cancer, or other cancer for which the patient has been disease-free for > 5 years
- Pregnant or nursing women. Women/men of reproductive potential must agree to use effective contraception