Eptinezumab in Participants With Episodic Cluster Headache (ALLEVIATE)
- Study HIC#:2000031744
- Last Updated:12/22/2022
The purpose of this study is to evaluate the efficacy of eptinezumab in participants with episodic Cluster Headache (eCH).
- Age18 years - 75 years
- Start Date03/09/2022
- End Date01/31/2023
Trial Purpose and Description
Eligible participants will be randomly assigned to receive treatment, in a blinded manner, two infusions of either eptinezumab or placebo in a cross-over manner during the Placebo-controlled Period and Active Treatment Period of the study.
The total duration of the study after randomization is 24 weeks, including a safety follow-up period of 8 weeks.
- The participant has episodic cluster headache, as defined by International Headache Society (IHS) International Classification of Headache Disorders 3rd Edition (ICHD-3) classification, with a documented history of eCH of at least 12 months prior to Screening Visit 1.
- The participant has a prior history of cluster period(s) lasting 6 weeks or longer, when untreated.
- The participant is able to distinguish cluster headache attacks from other headaches (that is; tension-type headaches, migraine).
- The participant is, at Screening Visit 2, in cluster headache bout, characterized by the presence of at least one typical cluster headache attack, that started not later than 1 week prior to Screening Visit 2.
- The participant has a medical history of first symptoms of cluster headache from ≤50 years of age.
- The participant has experienced failure on a previous treatment targeting the calcitonin gene-related peptide (CGRP) pathway (anti-CGRP monoclonal antibodies [mAbs] and gepants).
- The participant has confounding and clinically significant pain syndromes (for example, fibromyalgia, complex regional pain syndrome).
- The participant has a history or diagnosis of hypnic headache, hemicrania continua, new daily persistent headache, chronic migraine or unusual migraine subtypes such as hemiplegic migraine (sporadic and familial), recurrent painful ophthalmoplegic neuropathy, migraine with brainstem aura and migraine with neurological accompaniments that are not typical of migraine aura (diplopia, altered consciousness, or long duration).
- Participants with a lifetime history of psychosis, bipolar mania, or dementia are excluded. Participants with other psychiatric conditions whose symptoms are not controlled or who have not been adequately treated for a minimum of 6 months prior to Screening Visit 2 are also excluded.
- The participant is, at Screening Visit 2, at significant risk of suicide.
- The participant has a history of clinically significant cardiovascular disease, including uncontrolled hypertension, ischaemia or thromboembolic events (for example, cerebrovascular accident, deep vein thrombosis, or pulmonary embolism).
Other inclusion and exclusion criteria may apply.